Nothing could be more festive on the holiday table than a tray of these, buttery, confectioners’ sugar-dusted, jam-packed Linzer cookies! Use your smallest cookie cutter to make a peekaboo cutout in the center of each. The hint of lemon in the dough nicely complements any number of fillings, from raspberry to apricot jam. Enjoy!
Linzer Cookie Recipe:
1-1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Seedless raspberry or apricot jam
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat granulated sugar and butter in a medium bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture on low speed until dough forms.
- Divide in half and chill at least 2 hours.
- Roll out 1/2 of dough to 3/16 inch thick. Cut equal numbers of cookies with the Linzer Cutter with and insert to make tops and without an insert to make bottoms. Push plunger to release cookie if necessary. Repeat with rest of dough.
- Bake at 350F for 7-9 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Dust tops of cookies with cutouts with powdered sugar.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of jam on each cookie bottom.
- Place tops over bottoms to create the sandwich effect.