Recipe courtesy of Chef Jerry of Atlantic Seafood Market in Old Saybrook
4 whole trout, gutted*
8 T salted butter, softened
1 T wasabi powder
2 T onion, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 t pepper, freshly ground
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1. Cut 4 pieces of foil twice the size of each fish. On a diagonal, score each side of the fish in 3 places.
2. Cream the butter with the wasabi powder, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper. Divide the butter into 4 equal parts and place a portion in each fish, rubbing a small amount into the cuts on the outside of the fish.
3. Wrap each fish in its own foil, making sure to seal the edges.
4. Place the foil packets on a hot grill for 8–10 minutes on each side. Taking care not to break the foil, remove the packets from the grill and let stand for an additional 5 minutes. This will allow for inner steaming after grilling.
5. These packets can now be served on each individual plate, or unwrapped and served with the butter sauce poured over the fish.
*Trout can be purchased this way. Makes for a nice presentation.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes | GRILLING: 15–20 minutes + 5 minutes standing time
Image Credits: Photograph courtesy Shutterstock